Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Thing 20 Myspace and Facebook

Here we come to an impasse. I refuse, refuse to get a Facebook account. I am in the generation that accepts this as a normal social thing. One gets invited to weddings if one facebooks. One can see if another has broken up because of Facebook. Get poked! Write on someone's wall! Join a group! Have so many friends that suddenly it really doesn't matter anymore that friends aren't really friends. Hideous. So what can I do? I have been invited so many times to join, so that my friends can have me in their sights, but I am a ninja. I am elusive. I slip through fingers and cracks. AND I REFUSE. I do know about Facebook though. My younger brothers all have accts. I sometimes for fun peruse their pages, that tell me more than they will tell to my face. Gah.
I want to complete my 23 things, but really...please...I know Facebook. I will be my library's Facebook webmaster if we get a page. Actually it's more like when my library gets a Facebook Page. That will be fun! I will have alot of fun doing it!
But aha! I do use Myspace. It is less secure than Facebook and so it allows more anonyminity (sp?). This, yes, does allow not so good things to happen. But at the same time, I believe that if you don't go looking for those things, then you are safe. I use it merely for social means. Only my true friends are connected to the page and I use it as a means to keep in contact with my friends in the Phillipines. :) I am a strange bird.
On Myspace one can set up pictures, movies, blog about things, write emails, get posts, send out general posts, add friends, look up old friends, get birthday reminders!, and generally can be used socially. It even has IM, which I have used to IM my friends still in high school.

minutes later...

Sheesh...if only I read directions a little better. I see we only have to pick out one of the social networks! Yay Myspace!!!!! Ok.
So here's the deal. I am friends with the St. Paul Public Library's Myspace page and the HCL Myspace page. They both rock!
http://www.myspace.com/stpaulpubliclibrary

http://www.myspace.com/hennepincountylibrary

The wonderful thing about these two pages is that they give all the info you need, send out public announcements and everything basically links back to the Library's home page. Hem...it's in the works that we're going to get a Myspace page here at this library and I am going to be one of the webmasters! Hurray! I can't wait! Another keen thing about Myspace is that alot of authors and bands have their own pages and you can add them to be friends. Like Meg Cabot and Holly Black! I would totally use the format of linking back to the library's main page. I'd also really try to reach out to the teen faction of our library. They are on Myspace and Facebook for hours at a time (usually at the library) and it would be good to let them know about the things going on at the library and to hear what they have to say about the library.
Rock on!

No comments: