Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Thing 10- Veni, Vidi, Wiki!

Just a bit of Latin humour. Hehe.
I watched the commoncraft video. Needless to say, if I could understand it without any sound, it is a pretty awesome video that easily explained this concept. Took a look at the different wikis. They were interesting, and to my slight annoyance, one would think that a book lover's wiki would edit their spelling. Hum. (aren't I a snot!) I hit up the 23 things on a stick wiki, and left my message on the motherwiki. (Beam me up Scotty!)

Wiki's are cool. I appreciate Wikipedia alot. Of course, everyone's heard of it. It is one of the blessed information sites that are out there on basically everything. Although being an academic, I know that you really have to make sure that the information is sited and is really accurate! Everyone who posts must give a bibliography of places where they collected their information! It is not intended as an academic resource! Teachers, please. Let your kids collect their own information, from somewhere scholarly (LIBRARY!)

(Not like anyone cares, but in Classical Latin, all 'v's are pronounced as 'w'. Only in Medieval times did this change. Interestingly enough, English is one of the only romance based language to keep this influence with the word "wine". In French it is "vin" and in Spanish "vino". )

1 comment:

KnurdNinja said...

In paragraph 2, I think you meant to say that, ‘the information is cited’. ;)