Saturday, March 22, 2008

Thing 17

Ok.
I started the first part of this thing quite well. ELM is a very cool resource. I went to the Student Infotrac page from the databases listed alphabetically and used a keyword search to look up 'youth smoking'. Then I went to the RSS feed icon, copied and pasted the URL into my blog. And for some reason, with all the new talent of RSS feeds I have acquired over this little project, it said it was invalid. Of course alot of other people are complaining of this same thing so I am not alone, it must be something with the Google blogger. But I do know how to set it up.
Part 2
I went to Academic Search Premier and set up an account and started my folder. I started my web page with the Page Composer. So "Kierstin's Corner" is now set up and I am ready to start adding any search pages that I find interesting, same with pictures and videos. I was wondering what a better webpage than my own would look like and found others to be really interesting. This could have lots of possibilities!
Part 3-Proquest
I went to Proquest from the databases on ELM, followed each step required. Searched first, then slowly set the parameters wanted. I found two really interesting articles about Facebook that fell under the 2007, full text, Washington Post parameters. I put them under my "My Research" tab and created a web page. Emailed myself and saved it to my H drive.
*Whew*!
Part 4- NetLibrary
At first was very confused. Partially because I didn't read the instructions so that I fumbled around, made my account thinking that maybe i would figure things out, and then finally read the instructions. So...I did a keyword search, viewed the eBook, made my note! And thought, ooh, this is keen! My thoughts were more on academic things such as reports, where hey, I could mark notes in books I'm using and find them easily. Very cool.

So I liked my tour of this. I think its important to understand the databases that Libraries have access to, and in case patrons ask I can inform them on the basics.

No comments: