Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Thing 14- Library Thing

I signed up for Library Thing after taking the small tour. Thought the site was rather fascinating and made me start ruminating about what exactly I have stuffed in my bookshelves (usually double packed). What a great invention, not only could you catalog your whole book collection and catalog it, thus creating a 'library', you can share with others what you own.
For some reason the "book police" from 1984 comes to mind, I think we'd all be very easy targets. "Please don't burn my books, think of how my Library Thing rating will suffer!"
Woah. Ok, off strange trippy ideas.
So I added about 10 books to the catalog, and used both Amazon and the Library of Congress to search for them. Tip of the iceberg, I realize. Then easily enough they show up with their cataloging and also how many people have the same book. Ooh lala! I could join a group that is interested in the same book or join a bookclub to chat about the books. As they say on the main page, its 'eery' how many people may have the same interests and books!
Plus, I can set up my profile to display as much as I want to be shown and tell others about myself. I will set up my link so that all the people who read my blog can access my amazing collection of books. (Note: last sentence was very sarcastic). Anyway, I think this will stay in my mind as used thing. I like it almost better than Shelfari!
I think that's about it.
I think libraries could use this.

1 comment:

23 Things said...

Like the shelfari bookshelf you added!